Wednesday 3 July 2013

Homesick

I went to a psychic last weekend. Long story, not something I would have normally done of my own volition, but it "became a good experience", as you'd say in Japanese.

A good experience, if a little creepy - she didn't tell me when I was going to die (thank fuck), but Lady Lilac pulled the names of both my parents and my boyfriend out of thin air as if she'd lurked me on Facebook rather than heard them from the dead relatives lurking with us in her strangely ordinary office above Great Portland St.

That was all very disconcerting. But I think the biggest kick to the gut was when she looked me in the eye and said confidently "You're homesick". Which is not a word I have ever associated with myself, bar that very morning before seeing Lady Lilac when I said to the boyf in tears "I don't know what's wrong with me baby maybe I'm HOMESICK or something".

Weird to be homesick living in your hometown. I was born in London. My parents met in London.  London is the city that my grandfather earnestly believed saved his life in 1939, the city where I learned the C-word and how to do long division, the city where I first fancied a boy, first programmed a computer (an Amstrad, obviously), where I met my little sister and first had an inkling of who the hell I was.

But I grew up far away from here and learned how to speak with a foreign accent, and coming home is a lot harder than you'd think. So I'm feeling the need to write about it now - well over a year after moving home - and share it with the other side of me on the other side of the pond.

I don't have a remote idea of what to start a blog about - Programming? Not programming? Japanese, Feminism, Music, Comics, Nails? Food? I used to have an anime blog - those were the days ha. If I even write a second post, it will probably be about takeaway. Livejournal redux - so it begins.

1 comment:

  1. "....but Lady Lilac pulled the names of both my parents and my boyfriend out of thin air..." OH SAY WHAT. That's some tripped out shit right there.

    Just write about anything and everything because I miss you dearly. (BFFsick.) Oh shit, I still haven't mailed your gummies. I keep saying I will and then I walk past them in my hallway and need to walk away from them immediately or else I'll eat them. Typical.

    ReplyDelete